By Sheila Dicks
My mother always told me, “If you don’t look after what you have, you’ll never have anything”. She has always valued everything that came into her life and always took great care of it. Clothes were no exception. One thing is for sure that looking after your clothes will not only make them last longer, they will look better, which means you’ll look better. Here are some tips to keep your clothes looking great.
- Always hang your clothes on separate hangers – don’t pile two or three items on one hanger. Clothes that stretch, like sweaters shouldn’t be hung. Keep the buttons on jackets and blazers closed while hanging.
- Always keep clothes ironed. A wrinkled blouse or skirt leaves a bad impression.
- Make sure your pant hems do not touch the floor and become frayed. Wide leg pants should fall ¼ -1/2 inches from the floor.
- Read and follow washing instructions. A garment that says, ‘dry clean only’ will be ruined if you don’t read the label and you end up washing it. Bras are best washed by hand.
- To prevent getting makeup stains on light colored coats wear a scarf.
- At the end of each season repair the heels of your shoes before they get too worn. Also, to keep your knee-high boots in great shape use plastic boot shapers or roll up a magazine or a piece of Bristol board to stick inside your boots.
- Eat; apply makeup, perfume and hairspray before you get dressed to avoid getting stains on your clothes.